Veterans Affairs

On behalf of the University, we take this opportunity to thank you for your service to our country and for choosing Johns Hopkins University to fulfill your educational goals. We sincerely hope that your experience with our institution is a rewarding one.

Johns Hopkins is approved by the Maryland Higher Education Commission for the training of veterans, service members, eligible spouses, and dependents under the provisions of the various federal laws pertaining to Department of Veterans Affairs educational benefits. For more information, visit the VA education and training benefits webpage or call 1-888-442-4551.

If you need assistance utilizing VA benefits at Johns Hopkins University, you can request support through SEAM’s online form.

How to use VA benefits at JHU

To utilize veterans’ educational benefits at JHU, students must comply with the following procedures:

  1. After acceptance to JHU, you can apply for VA benefits.
  2. Eligible dependents of veterans should refer to the VA website to obtain the correct application form, depending on the service member’s dates of service and chosen benefit.
  3. If you have used VA education benefits previously at another university, you must complete the VA 22-1995 Form (Change of Program or Place of Training).
  4. Once submitted, the VA typically takes about 30 days to review applications. If approved, the VA will send you a Certificate of Eligibility (COE).*
  5. Once you receive your COE, submit a copy of it via SEAM’s online form.

*Students may enroll in courses while waiting for their COE.

GI Bill Payments

The payment amount from the VA to JHU is governed by the student’s eligibility as established by the VA.

The 2022-2023 annual tuition cap set by the VA for private schools is $26,381.37.

Students are responsible for tracking their remaining eligibility, both annual and lifetime. Any balance not paid by the VA is solely the responsibility of the student. 

Students are required to submit a Third Party Payer (TPP) request for every term of enrollment they wish to be certified to the VA.  Failure to submit a request will result in the presumption that benefits are not being sought for that term.

To submit a VA certification request, follow the instructions below.

  1. Log in to SIS Self-Service.
  2. On the left pane, click the “Billing” tab.
  3. Select “Third Party Payers.”
  4. Click “Add New.”
  5. Select the semester/term you are requesting to be certified from the drop-down menu.
  6. Select the payer from the drop-down menu by typing “VA Chapter” in the search box, and then select the chapter you are using. For example, if you are using the Post 9/11 GI Bill, you would select “VA Chapter 33-Post 9/11 GI Bill.”
  7. Follow the remaining instructions to sign and submit your agreement.  

For more information, request support through SEAM’s online form.

Note: Students utilizing VA education benefits must let their School Certifying Official know immediately of any change in their status or program that might affect the amount of their payment from the VA.

Students utilizing VA education benefits must let their School Certifying Official (SCO) know immediately of any change in their status or program that might affect the amount of their payment from the VA.

The School Certifying Official  is responsible for processing certification of enrollment for all students receiving veteran educational benefits; updating and reporting accurate enrollment to the Department of Veteran Affairs (DVA); and maintaining federal compliance. Students should understand that an SCO cannot determine eligibility for benefits; this is the sole responsibility of the VA. Johns Hopkins University School Certifying Officials are committed to assisting you on your educational journey.

You can contact your SCO through SEAM’s online form or by calling 410-516-6635.

More information about VA benefits at JHU

Many organizations offer scholarships to help cover education costs for veterans. View a list of external scholarships. 

Johns Hopkins University is a proud participant in the Yellow Ribbon Program, which allows institutions of higher learning to voluntarily enter into an agreement with the VA to fund tuition expenses that exceed the amount payable to private institutions in an academic year. Yellow Ribbon awards are applied on a first-come, first-serve basis. The rates and maximums for the Yellow Ribbon Program can change from year-to-year. For more information, visit JHU’s Yellow Ribbon Program page. 

Military tuition assistance (TA) is a distinct source of financial aid for eligible service members and mandated to be the first payer of their college tuition. For more information, visit JHU’s Military tuition assistance page.

Students who complete a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) may be eligible to receive federal financial aid, including grants, student loans, and/or work study opportunities. While students may borrow from any lender they chose, federal student loans often have lower interest rates and better repayment terms than non-federal or alternative loans.  For more specific information, please navigate to your division’s financial aid website using the links provided below.

Undergraduate aid:

Graduate aid:

For more information about financial aid, visit SEAM’s online form. 

If you served on Active Duty, you might be eligible for education benefits offered by the Department of Veterans Affairs. For example, the Post-9/11 GI Bill® provides financial support for educational and housing expenses to individuals with at least 90 days of aggregate service after September 10, 2001, or individuals discharged with a service-connected disability after 30 days. You must have received an honorable discharge to be eligible for the Post-9/11 GI Bill®.

If you are the spouse or child of a service member, you may be eligible for transfer of the service member’s Post-9/11 GI Bill® benefits to you.

If you are currently serving in the military, you may be eligible for funding offered through the Department of Defense Tuition Assistance program as well as the GI Bill®. Check your eligibility status and the amount for which you qualify with your Service prior to enrolling.

If you are the spouse or child of a service member who is serving on active duty Title 10 orders in the pay grades of E1-E5, O1-O2, or W1-W2, you may be eligible for financial assistance from the Department of Defense for education or training.