Johns Hopkins University issues refunds electronically through Flywire.
Please note: We are no longer affiliated with BankMobile. If you set up a direct deposit account before January 2023, you may need to create an account with Flywire to receive electronic refunds (eRefunds).
You may be eligible for a refund when loans, scholarships, and other payments, such as 529 or College Savings Plan payments, are applied and cover more than the balance owed or when you make registration changes that reduce what you owe. You will be refunded the credit balance on your student account automatically once refunding begins each term.
Email Notification of a Refund
When you are eligible for a refund, you will receive an email from Flywire to your JHU email address notifying you of the refund.
- If you have not enrolled in eRefunds by the time you receive that email, you have 24 hours to log in to Flywire through SIS Self-Service and add your U.S. bank account information.
- If you have already enrolled in eRefunds at that time, no action is necessary.
An eRefund is a reimbursement method where funds are directly deposited into a student’s bank account due to a credit balance.
- Designate the personal U.S. checking or savings account where you want your student refunds to go.
- Your money will be available in your bank account within 2-3 business days after we process the refund.
- Address changes won’t delay your refund. This is especially important if you live on campus or away from home.
- Log into SIS Self-Service.
- On the Billing tab, select Summary.
- Under Actions, click Set Up Direct Deposit
- A new window will open. Click on Set Up Now > Enroll for eRefunds
Once enrolled in eRefunds, you can choose to be notified by text message of any refund activity. To enroll in text message notifications from Flywire:
- Login to SIS Self-Service
- Click on Billing > Summary > Actions: Set Up Direct Deposit
- A new window will open. Click on Payer Actions > Manage Notifications
- Click Update
The credit balances on your student account will be sent by paper check and mailed to your preferred address on file with the University. This may not be where you currently reside or intend to reside in the future, so eRefunds is the best way to be sure you receive your money quickly, directly in your bank account, regardless of address changes.
If you choose not to enroll in eRefunds, be sure to verify your address in SIS Self-Service. Go to Personal Info > Summary to verify your preferred mailing address.
If you have any questions about a credit balance on your account or enrolling in eRefunds, please contact us via SEAM’s online form.