Tax Form 1098-T

IRS Form 1098-T is the Tuition Statement that JHU uses to report qualified tuition and related education expenses to students and the IRS. Students or their parent/guardian may be able to claim these expenses as education-related tax credits.

Who receives a 1098-T?

Generally, students who are/were enrolled at JHU and have been billed for tuition should receive a Form 1098-T.

Johns Hopkins University must file Form 1098-T for each student enrolled for academic credit and for whom a reportable transaction is made during the calendar year, January 1 to December 31. Receipt of a 1098-T does not automatically establish eligibility for educational tax deductions or credits, nor does it provide all information that may be needed to calculate any taxable portion of scholarships/grants received.

Form 1098-T is not provided to:

  • Students enrolled in courses for which no academic credit is offered, even if the student is otherwise enrolled in a degree program. 
  • Non-resident alien students, unless requested by the student.
  • Students whose qualified tuition and related expenses are entirely waived or paid entirely with scholarships.
  • Students whose qualified tuition and related expenses are covered by a formal billing arrangement between an institution and the student’s employer or a governmental entity, such as the Department of Veterans Affairs or the Department of Defense.

Please note: This information is provided as general assistance and should not be construed as tax advice. Refer to IRS Publication 970 or consult with a tax advisor for additional information regarding Form 1098-T.

Reportable transactions are payments received (from all sources) during the calendar year towards qualified tuition and related expenses (QTRE) billed to your student account. The IRS defines QTRE as tuition, fees, and course materials required for a student to be enrolled at or attend an eligible educational institution. For additional information, visit the IRS Qualified Education Expenses page.

Electronic Delivery

Eligible students who opted to receive electronic forms may view their 1098-T no later than January 31 in SIS Self-Service under Billing / Summary / Actions.

Paper Copy

Eligible students who did not consent to e-delivery will receive a paper copy of Form 1098-T, postmarked by January 31. The 1098-T is mailed to the student at the permanent home address listed in SIS Self-Service. Eligible students may consent to view the form electronically at any time via SIS Self-Service under Billing / Summary / Actions. 

To consent to e-delivery, log into SIS Self-Service. Under the Billing tab, select Summary. In the Actions box, select View 1098-T. By clicking on Consent, you are stating that you want to receive your 1098-T form electronically and you agree to return to this site to view or print your 1098-T.

Log in to SIS Self-Service to access your 1098-T. Under the Billing tab, select Summary. In the Actions box, select View 1098-T.

There could be many reasons for this, and each student’s circumstance is unique. However, the amount in box 1 only reflects payments made within the calendar year towards qualified tuition and related expenses (QTRE) billed to your student account during the same calendar year. QTRE does not include, among other charges, health insurance, housing, meals, transportation/parking, or books/materials.

To get a summary of your charges and payments by term, you can view and print your account activity in  SIS Self-Service. Please look closely at the dates of activity.

Eligible students who do not have their social security number (SSN) or taxpayer identification number (TIN) on file by December 31 of the tax year in question will not automatically receive Form 1098-T. Students who update their SSN/TIN after January 1 may submit a case and request a form. If you are eligible, a form will then be made available in SIS.

To update your SSN log into SIS Self-Service and access the Identity Management Form under Personal Info / Summary.

Students whose SSN/TIN was recorded in SIS prior to January 1 who feel they should have received the form, but did not, should contact SEAM. If your account activity for the year in question warrants the 1098-T, one will be made available to you in SIS.

After graduating, you will need to create an alumni account. You can then view your 1098-T by logging in to SIS Self-Service with your alumni account login ID and password.