Billing FAQ

Below are answers to some of the most frequently asked questions about student accounts. If you have further questions, please contact us. 

SIS Access

Students may add parents or other individuals as an authorized user in SIS Self-Service and select the amount of information the authorized user can see.

To grant access, log in to SIS Self-Service / Personal Info / Authorized Users. 

  • It is the student’s responsibility to share the assigned login and password with additional viewers. 
  • Only the student can grant anyone access to their account and reset an authorized user’s login or password, in compliance with federal law and the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act. 

Students: Please contact our Information Technology Help Desk at 410-955-HELP for assistance with your JHED account. Please note there may be a delay when waiting for a telephone response due to a high volume of calls.  

Authorized Users: Only the student may reset an authorized user’s login or password. 

Paying a Bill

An email notification will be sent to your Johns Hopkins email address when a bill is available to view. Billing statements are emailed on the second Thursday of each month if activity has occurred since the last billing cycle. If for some reason you don’t receive an email notification, you are still responsible for paying your balance due by the payment due date of each billing period to avoid a late payment fee.  Paper statements are no longer mailed to students. 

You may view/pay your student account balance in SIS Self-Serviceunder Billing / Summary. 

You may view/pay your student’s account balance at by using the login designated for you by the student. Please note that only the student may reset an authorized user’s login or password. 

Some JHU schools and programs accept credit card payments. To check if your program does, log in to SIS Self-Service. You can view online payment options under Billing / Summary / Actions. 

No, you are not able to pay by telephone. However, we offer several payment methods.

The university must receive the full amount due by the due date. If full payment is not received by this date, registration and continuing enrollment may be denied. If JHU accepts payments that contain or reflect “paid in full” or other restrictive endorsements, JHU does not lose any of its rights to collect any amount due. 

If you are eligible to enroll in a monthly payment plan, the link will be provided in SIS Self-Service. 

Nelnet Campus Commerce’s Interest-Free Monthly Payment Option allows you to spread your education expenses over smaller monthly installments for only a small enrollment fee. There is no interest and no pre-qualification or credit check for this service.  

With this payment plan, you have 24-hour access to account information and personal account service Monday through Saturday. Education Payment Partners are available to help you determine the best payment option for your education costs. For more information on your specific payment options or to enroll in the Interest-Free Monthly Payment Plan, call 1-800-609-8056 and speak with an Education Payment Partner. 

The university does not accept post-dated checks.

A check not honored by the bank is subject to a $25 returned check fee. The university reserves the right to require a cashier or certified check on future payments.

Employer Tuition Assistance

Employer reimbursement is not a method of payment for registration. You must make a personal payment at the time of registration and wait for your reimbursement from your employer.

Yes, JHU accepts third party payments—when an entity such as an employer directly pays all or part of a student’s tuition and fees to Johns Hopkins. Students must submit documentation and complete a brief acknowledgement each semester in SIS Self-Service. Learn more about the third party payment process and deadlines.

Eligibility, annual limits, and costs vary depending upon the tuition plan you choose. Visit the JHU Benefits & Worklife Tuition Assistance page for more information.

Eligible faculty, staff, and bargaining unit members: 

  1. Submit an initial application through our employee tuition platform, EdAssist.
    • Need an invoice to submit to Bright Horizons/EdAssist? Log into SIS Self-Service and view/print your monthly statement(s) that contain the course info you need. Multiple statements can be submitted to Bright Horizons.
  2. Attach the Bright Horizons EdAssist Application Payment Processed email to a request through SEAM’s online form for payment processing 

Eligible spouse, domestic partner, dependent children, and retirees: 

  1. Visit the JHU Benefits site to find the appropriate JHU tuition remission application
  2. Submit the JHU tuition remission benefit application via SEAM’s online form for payment processing
    • No remission applications will be accepted after December 15 for courses taken during the current calendar year.

Please note:

  • If the remission does not cover the entire cost of tuition, you are required to pay the remaining balance at the time of registration or set up a payment plan if your school has payment plans.
  • Allow 7-10 days from submission to SEAM for your remission to reflect on your student account.
  • Students are financially responsible for dropped courses paid for with tuition remission. Students receiving tuition remission benefits from JHU should read the contract carefully, as you must complete the class to retain benefits.

Contact the Benefits Service Center at 410-516-2000 or [email protected] to address any additional questions.

Additional Student Accounts Questions

These funds are not applied to your student account. You will be paid weekly through the university’s payroll system by the employing department based on the hours you work. Your work-study check cannot be applied to your account. You must deposit the paycheck in your personal banking account and write a check payable to Johns Hopkins University.

Form TL11A is solely for JHU students whose record includes Canada as their Country of Citizenship and are using the form for tax filing purposes. Students can use SEAM’s online form to request a completed TL11A, where our office will report applicable tuition and fees for a given semester/term. Please include your JHU ID# in your request. 

Yes, our tax ID number is 52-0595110.