Third Party Payer
The Johns Hopkins University third party payer and payment processing (TPP) team prepares and issues invoices for qualified tuition and fees, maintains third party payer and related student accounts, and processes university-wide payments. Regardless of the funding source, all student payments must include the Hopkins ID (six-character alphanumeric combination) of the student to ensure it is correctly posted in SIS Self-Service. Alternative identifiers include your JHU e-mail address, mailing address in SIS, or first/last name.
A TPP is an organization that sponsors all or part of a student’s tuition and fees. Examples include: domestic or foreign companies, corporations, foreign embassies, state prepaid tuition programs (most 529 accounts are considered prepaid programs), and state/federal government agencies (including the military and VA). We do invoice 529 accounts under Florida Prepaid, Texas Guaranteed Tuition Plan, and College Illinois.
Note: A reimbursement is not considered a form of third party billing. A family member or friend is not considered a third party payer for this purpose. JHU does not accept contracts with third party payers that require grade/transcript review before payment or other conditions.
Upload an authorization letter (also known as a contract or sponsor agreement) to JHU via SIS Self-Service. This request for TPP funding must be completed each semester/term for which a third party payer is sponsoring a student. Your contract in SIS Self-Service must be uploaded and approved in SIS Self-Service before the first day of classes each semester in order to avert any late fees charged by your program.
The authorization letter must be written in English, be payable in U.S. Dollars, and include the following:
- Your legal first and last name
- Your Hopkins six-digit ID# (an alphanumeric or numeric code located in the upper right corner in SIS Self-Service.)
- U.S. Dollar amount that the third party payer will be responsible for paying
- Semester/term, or duration of program covered by the contract
- A listing of specific charges that will be covered
- Any restrictions on fees/charges that will not be covered
- Third party payer’s billing address
- Name, email address, and phone of contact person at third party payer
- Signature of authorized representative (if required by the third party payer)
- Purchase order or contract number for unique identification (if required by the third party payer)
- First, review the contract submission process.
- Once your request is reviewed/accepted, the TPP office will add an anticipated payment credit memo to your account—this acts as a financial placeholder until we receive payment from the external entity.
In order for your SIS Self-Service account to be invoiced for the correct dollar amount in addition to averting financial holds, contract uploads should be completed by the first day of classes.
Student Accounts Operations (TPP)
Johns Hopkins University
Garland Hall, B33
3400 N. Charles Street
Baltimore, MD 21218
You can also request support via SEAM’s online form.