Military Tuition Assistance

Military TA (tuition assistance) is a distinct source of financial aid for eligible service members and mandated to be the first payer of their college tuition.

For general information on military TA, you can contact the JHU Veteran and Military Affairs Team via SEAM’s online form. If utilizing military TA, please follow the third party payer guidelines when submitting your approved TA form to JHU.

Military tuition assistance may only be used to pursue degree programs at colleges and universities in the United States that are regionally or nationally accredited by an accrediting body recognized by the U.S Department of Education. Since each military branch has its own tuition assistance application procedure, we recommend you visit your local installation education center for guidance.

JHU refrains from high-pressure recruitment tactics such as making multiple unsolicited contacts (3 or more), including contacts by phone, email, or in person; and engaging in same-day recruitment and registration for the purpose of securing Service member enrollments.

Prior to your course enrollment, you may be required to provide an education degree plan or complete a tuition assistance orientation. The tuition assistance recipient should request their degree plan from their academic advisor. Your service’s education center must approve your military tuition assistance before you enroll in a course.

For more information about military tuition assistance processes, visit Military OneSource’s website. 

Military Tuition Assistance Application Process

Each military branch has its own TA application form and procedures. For more information, view the links below.

Keep in mind that tuition assistance will not fully fund your college courses, and that you may have to reimburse any funds already paid if any of the following situations occur:

  • Leaving the service before the course ends
  • Quitting the course for reasons other than personal illness, military transfer, or mission requirements
  • Failing the course
Tuition Refund Policy When Dropping or Withdrawing from a Course

Each JHU division utilizes their own tuition refund policy when students drop or withdraw from a course. You can find the applicable policy for your division or program in the JHU academic catalogue.

Choose your division or program to view refund policies:


Unearned Tuition Assistance Refund Policy

For Military TA recipients: Upon withdrawal from a term, students utilizing military TA will have their funds returned to the US government according to the return policy for Title IV federal aid. To comply with the Department of Defense policy, the University will return any unearned TA funds on a proportional basis through at least the 60% portion of the period for which the funds were provided. TA funds are earned proportionally during an enrollment period, with unearned funds returned based upon when a student stops attending. Additional information can be found within the JHU Policy on Return of Title IV Funds.

Refund Schedule
  • Prior to start of semester – end of week 2: 100% refund
  • Week 3: 90% refund
  • Week 4: 80% refund
  • Week 5: 70% refund
  • Week 6: 60% refund
  • Week 7: 50% refund
  • Week 8: 40% refund
  • Week 9 (60% course completed): 30% refund
  • Week 10 – end of semester: No refund

GUIDELINES: If a student leaves the institution prior to completing 60% of a payment period or term, the Financial Aid Office recalculates eligibility for Title IV funds. Recalculation is based on the percentage of earned aid using the following formula:  

Percentage of payment period or term completed = the number of days completed up to the withdrawal date divided by the total days in the payment period or term.  Funds are returned to the appropriate federal program based on the percentage of unearned aid using the following formula: Aid to be returned = (100% of the aid that could be disbursed minus the percentage of earned aid) multiplied by the total amount of aid that could have been disbursed during the payment period or term.

Transfer Credit Policies

JHU determines acceptance of transfer credits, and each division within the University maintains their own transfer credit acceptance policies. JHU refrains from unsubstantiated representations about credits in transfer by another institution.

Choose your division to view transfer credit policies and statements:

Advanced Academic Programs – Transfer Credit

School of Advanced International Studies – Transfer Credit

ASEN Undergraduate – Transfer Credit

School of Education – Transfer Credit

Carey Business School – Transfer Credit

School of Medicine – Transfer Credit

Engineering for Professionals – Transfer Credit

School of Nursing – Transfer Credit

Krieger School of Arts and Sciences – Transfer Credit (graduate)

School of Public Health – Transfer Credit

Peabody Institute – Transfer Credit

Whiting School of Engineering – Transfer Credit (graduate)


Military TA recipients should consult with their academic division and program staff regarding any questions pertaining to transfer credits.

Cost per Credit and Total Cost of Attendance

Please note that these cost per credit and total cost of attendance are provided solely per the requirements of the Department of Defense as Johns Hopkins University does not use a per-credit hour calculation to determine tuition charges.

View information regarding Title IV Financial Aid.